5 Things you should know about Asturias
Another visit to Spain is in store, especially since you are probably secretly dreaming about escaping the cold of winter. Therefore, we have come up with a brilliant suggestion. Here are 5 Things you should know about Asturias, a highly underrated Spanish destination, if you ask us.
1. Did you know how old Asturias is? The answer is “very”… It actually dates back to the Lower Paleolithic. Before us “modern” humans, the region was inhabited by Homo Erectus and then by the famed Neanderthals.
2. The name “Asturias” comes from the Iberians that inhabited the area before the 2nd century BC Roman conquest. The Mountains are high and lovely, also baring the name of “Asturian”.
3. The Spanish Reconquista began in Asturias, as King Alfonso I started winning territories for Christendom and defeated the Moors.
4. Asturias is famed for being quite polluted, unfortunately. The climate in the city and around it, however, is lovely, with temperatures rising above 10 degrees Celsius and winter and revolving around 24 degrees Celsius in summer.
5. Have you ever heard of the fabada asturiana? It is a local popular dish made up of white beans, pork, morcilla black sauce and chorizo spicy sausage. A bit heavy on the liver, but the most amazing thing about this dish… is that it’s actually a stew! If you are worried about what you are going to eat in Asturias, on the other hand, don’t! People here favor seafood, which is quite healthy, less fat and served in all the restaurants in the region. If you have a sweet tooth, go for a pastry and if you want a glass of alcohol, go for some sweet apple cider produced in these mountains.
Last but certainly not least, Asturias is a place of great natural and cultural beauty. To make the most of your trip, we recommend booking an Asturias car hire.