The best cities in Portugal – Part 1
Winter is as good a season as any to visit this beautiful European country, so we would like to review today some of the best cities in Portugal. Let’s see what the country has to show to any of the people who wish to walk its realms and stay here at least for a few days.
- Lisbon, the capital city of the country, is definitely a lifelong must see. It is one of the most lively and charming capital cities in the world it has a special allure that nobody can deny. Lisbon is a cultural and tourist hub, it is a “new” city in a sense, as a great part of it was rebuilt after the 1766 shattering earthquake, but also one of the oldest cities in the world, with settlers having come here since prehistoric times. When in Lisbon, you must do the following things’:
- Visit the Azulejos Museum
- Visit the Oceanario
- Eat a good dish of Bacalhau
- Walk around the beautiful historic Bario Alto
- Talk to the loca,sl, who will prove to be some of the nicest people you will ever meet
2. Porto is the “capital of the North”, the most prominent city in the industrial, busy and rich northern side of the country. Porto also deposits a great wealth of cultural and industrial strategic spots, as well as great tourist attractions. With the colorful architecture it displays, the Porto city center has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The city of Porto (or Oporto) was built on the banks of the River Douro, in the greatly fertile land on the Douro Valley. It is a great opportunity to get a Porto tour around the wine producing region and even taste some great wine.
Another idea would be to rent a car in Porto and travel around the entire region without a care.