The 10 wonders of Andorra
Some of you might know that Andorra, also called the Principality of the Valleys of Andorra – with its capital city, Andorra la Vella – is one of the smallest countries in the world, bordered by Spain and France. The 10 wonders of Andorra will also show you that though tiny, Andorra should not be taken for granted.
1. So it is known that Andorra is small. Few of us, however, know just how small this country is. Here is the answer: it is the 16th smallest in size (measuring 40 km) and the 11th in population (with about 85.000 inhabitants).
2. As form of state, Andorra is a parliamentary co-principality, ruled by two “Princes” the President of France and the Bishop of Urgell in Catalonia. It is unique in the world for this.
3. Another thing this small country is unique in the world for is its language: Andorra is the only state in the world that has Catalan as the official language.
4. Do you know the name of Andorra’s airport? Gotcha! It has no airport.
5. Nor, for that matter, does it have a military. Protection of the small country is guaranteed by France and Spain.
6. Andorra has seen no war in a millenium! Since Charlemagne fought the Moors, the high-perched country in the Pyrenees with few natural resources, has attracted to conflict.
7. 90% of the population is Roman-Catholic, but the country has no official religion!
8. Andorra is a large producer of Tobacco and has a long “history” of producing and even smuggling it. It is also currently one of the last European countries where you are still allowed to smoke in public places.
9. Andorra has been free since the 9th century.
10. The best way to get around the tiny state is to rent a car in Andorra.